Lately there’s been a lot going on with Bing Ads. As I’ve said before, one of my favorite things about Bing Ads is their responsiveness to the community. After my last post about them, one of their community reps actually reached out to me personally, and we had a great conversation about recent changes to social media policy within Bing. And, in case you haven’t noticed, they’ve started responding to tweets directed their way. Thank you, Bing Ads! The community really appreciates it!
This week, the PPC community love went even further, as Bing Ads participated in a PPC Chat interview. Can you imagine Google doing that? Or Facebook? Yeah, me neither.
Anyway, the chat was informative – as always, there are several new things on the horizon for Bing Ads. I’m sure some will prove highly useful, and some not – but that’s ok. It’s the innovation we want.
One thing I really appreciated about the chat was the honesty that the Bing Ads reps showed. For example, one of the questions asked of them was (I’m paraphrasing here) “it seems like many of your new innovations have been copies of things Google has done already.” The response was (paraphrasing again), “well, we keep hearing that people want us to be like Google, and we want to give our users what they want.” I love it! Instead of feeding us some corporate PR BS, they told it to us straight.
Take a look at the streamcap, if you missed it on Tuesday. It’s worth a read.
That was the good stuff. Now for the not so good stuff.
After a nice run with the latest incarnation of Bing Desktop, I ran into a brick wall yesterday. I had gotten all excited and decided to build out a bunch of new campaigns in Bing by importing some Google campaigns. But alas, it wasn’t in the cards. I started getting all kinds of “duplicate ad” errors again, even on ads that weren’t duplicates. I’d had this issue with ads with the same title, so I was prepared for that. But yesterday, I started getting errors with ads that were completely different! I have no idea why that happened, but it was annoying.
I was finally able to fix the issue by deleting the ads that Bing told me were duplicates, and then re-typing them by hand. Not cool. And so, I didn’t get to upload as many campaigns as I had wanted to.
This is really the crux of the issue. It’s like we can’t spend money on Bing if we try. In this case, our client is looking for additional traffic & exposure, and I was hoping to use Bing for some of that – but no dice.
On the plus side, the Bing Ads folks on Twitter were helpful and responsive when I complained about the trouble I was having. I’m crossing my fingers in hopes that the issue can be fixed soon. I’ll keep you updated!